I'll spare you the details of what we said. All I can tell you is that we basically said the same thing to each other. Which, at that age, was nothing short of a miracle.
There is something almost unbearably wonderful about receiving a letter from someone you secretly hope feels the same way about you. You read the first few lines cautiously, pretending you're merely curious. Then you notice a word, a phrase, a little turn of sentiment, and suddenly your heart begins reading faster than your eyes.
You read it once. Then again. Then a third time, more slowly, as if the meaning might somehow change if you lingered over it. It doesn't. If anything, it becomes more astonishing.
There it is, in her own handwriting: what you had hoped, what you had wondered about, what you had been too afraid to ask. The feelings you had been carrying quietly were not yours alone. Somehow, miraculously, they had crossed the distance between two people and arrived safely on the other side.
And because this was before texts, emojis, and instant messages, the letter itself mattered. It wasn't simply information. It was evidence. Someone had sat down somewhere, taken a piece of paper, picked up a pen, and thought about you.
That is an extraordinary thing.
A letter takes time. You have to find the paper, choose your words, hesitate, cross something out, wonder whether you've said too much. Then you fold it, put it into an envelope, and somehow summon the courage to hand it over. The letter says: I thought about you long enough to put this into words. And hers said, essentially, the same thing.
I was floating.
Which is why what happened next was particularly cruel.
I promptly lost the letter.
At the very same event.
I don't know how. One moment it was in my pocket, and the next it wasn't. I checked my pockets again and again, retraced my steps, and searched places where a small piece of paper had absolutely no business being.
Nothing.
Gone.
Suddenly, all the sweetness of the evening was mixed with a small, private catastrophe. I had received something I had wanted desperately, something that confirmed the feelings I had been too shy to say aloud—and then, through the spectacular incompetence of my younger self,
I lost it.
There is a particular agony in losing a letter.
You don't just lose paper. You lose handwriting, the shape of someone's thoughts, the little imperfections—the pressure of the pen, the crossed-out words, the way a sentence wandered because the person writing it was trying to say something difficult. And you lose the physical proof of a moment that can never quite be recreated. I suppose I could have asked her to write it again. But that would have missed the point. The first letter belonged to a particular moment, between two particular people, when neither knew what would happen next. A second copy might have contained the same words, but it would not have been the letter.
And so, over the years, I have occasionally wondered about that lost piece of paper. Where did it end up? Did it fall beneath a chair, get swept away with the debris after the event, or disappear into some forgotten corner of the school?
I will never know.
But I still think about the letter. And, truth be told, I still think about the girl.
I wonder where she is now, what kind of life she made for herself, and whether she ever remembers that particular evening. Does she remember the boy who gave her a letter at the same moment she gave him one? Or has that evening simply disappeared into the great attic of childhood memories?
I don't necessarily wish to go back. We are both different people now, shaped by decades of choices, joys, disappointments, and ordinary life. There is something fitting about leaving that memory where it belongs: in that particular time, when two young people unexpectedly discovered that they felt the same way about each other. Still, I wish I could tell her that I remember.
I remember the letter. I remember the happiness of discovering that what I had been quietly carrying inside me was being carried by someone else. And I remember the absurd tragedy of losing the evidence almost immediately.
Perhaps that is the irony of it. I lost the letter, but somehow kept what mattered. The paper is gone. The words are gone. Even the girl I knew then has become someone I can only imagine now. But the feeling remains—not as an unfinished romance, but as a small, beautiful reminder of who we once were.
I hope she is well. I hope life has been kind to her. And I hope that, somewhere in her own collection of memories, there is still a little room for a boy who once wrote her a letter.
Maybe she remembers. Maybe she doesn't.
Either way, I think I was blessed.
For one brief, unplanned moment, I liked her, she liked me, and we both somehow managed to say so.
And really, that's a pretty good letter to have received.

Comments