10 Best Eating Places in Bacolod So Far (And No, I’m Not Going to Talk about Chicken Inasal)

So I had a terrible, overcooked, overpriced burger recently for dinner. This restaurant (I won’t mention the name – Bigby’s) with pretensions to franchise kingdom even had the gall to charge P35 when I asked for mustard! For the most part, I was berating myself. I could have tried any of the local restaurants here in Bacolod and know that I will not be disappointed. One of the glorious discoveries I have made living here in Bacolod only for a few months is that this city likes to eat! Gourmands abound.

I know Bacolod is famous for their chicken inasal, and rightly so. The chicken really is delicious, but there is more to this city than the ubiquitous delicacy. This city likes to eat out, and this is proven by the sheer number of delis, cafes and restaurants – each boasting a specialty of some sort. Quaint, little places pepper the city like hidden treasures waiting to be discovered. I could turn geeky and extol my theories about the rich, interesting history of this island, and its implication to the dining habits and tastes of the Negrenses, but I’ll spare you. I know I have only been here a few months and I can’t say I’ve explored much, but these places are by far what stands out for me. In no particular order, I give you the best eating places in Bacolod:

1. Lord Byron’s. Tucked in the quiet corner of Homesite, this place serves melt-in-your-mouth goodness of spare ribs. The place is a simple affair with gravel flooring, and rustic benches and tables. You need to come early, or call in advance. Their spare ribs are famous and they are gone fast. They have another place near Shopping – but it is beside a car-wash shop. It is a tiny booth and is only for take-out.

2. Twist at Sugarland Hotel. They have an assortment of really good dishes – the steaks are quiet good, but my personal favorite is their lengua estofado. Creamy and surprisingly light, you have not tasted lengua estofado like they serve it.

3. Bascon Café – This place – walking distance from the office, is a favorite. Quiet, elegant and they serve moderately priced but delicious food. Traditional fares like callos, lengua estofado, steaks make up the menu, but there are surprises as well. My personal favorite is the pesce balsamico. Steamed fish with salad and reduced balsamic vinegar sauce, it is a delight and an inspiration. Ask for the mashed potatoes to go with it.

4. Café Uma/ Trattoria Uma – A bit pricey, but so worth it! The pasta dishes and the thin-crust pizza is like a celebration unto itself, every bite a flavorful cry of triumph. It was the first time I saw my companion who is a picky eater wipe his dinner roll with the leftover sauce from the pasta. Yes, it is that good. I am saving up for their wagyu beef burger. I know that it will be a delight!



5. Café 1925 – This is actually in Silay City – around 30 minutes from Bacolod City. Small, quiet and unassuming, I liked the décor. Located in what is termed “Paris of Negros,” the café is within walking distance from the heritage houses that boast of the opulent history of the sugar barons. The first time we went, we were hungry and ordered their menu for the day: osso boco. I love the fall-off-bone tenderness of the beef, and the spicy tomato sauce. It was a perfect meal after we have explored the Hofilena Heritage House and the voice of Mon Hofilena still ringing in our ears and the images of his magnificent art collection dancing in our minds. But the best surprise was just how good their coffee was! Paired with churros con chocolate, the coffee was just the right amount of boldness, tone and flavor. It was so good I’d have made Café 1924 my coffee place of choice had it not been too far away from where I work.




6. Pala-pala – Not the exploitatively expensive pala-pala along 18th Street (where dinner can cost up to P8K), go for the original pala-pala at the corner near the Capitol. Just in front of the seafood market, there are restaurants that will cook and serve you the seafood you buy at the market. It won’t be fancy, but the food will make up for the lack of sophistication. I love how they stuff the squid with lemon grass and grill it lightly – then dip in spicy “sinamak.” They also make the best kinilaw this side of the South.

7. Jacopo’s – intensely flavored Mediterranean-inspired dishes, this place is out of the way corner of that building in front of Robinson’s. You have to look for it because it is easy to miss, but when you find it, you are in for a delightful treat. Their dishes are meant to be shared, and they come in gigantic servings (in gigantic serving plates). Try their pita bread with three dippings: baba ganash, hummus, and chili. You will love it. Try their beef red curry. Oh my! Or maybe their salad with feta cheese and candied almonds, and smoked chicken. Yum! Or maybe their fish with tomatoes in olive oil. So good! Or try their sampler kebabs of chicken, mutton and beef. Ah! You will gesture with your hands, smile a lot and declare, “this is so good!”

8. Calea – Calea is famous for their cakes and their pastries. The three-layered chocolate cheese cake alone is enough to convince you this is a little slice of heaven here on earth. Another favorite is the rhum-raisin pudding with vanilla ice cream. It is, without exaggeration and simply put, paradise. But what I find delightful are their sandwich offerings. Delicious and diverse, they make Calea not just a desert place, but a fun eating place too. I’ve tried their chunky chicken sandwich with apples (I think they call it the Waldorf?), their tuna on a rye, among others, but my favorite is their grilled chicken and vegetables with a tangy barbeque sauce. I also love the stuffed ciabatta with pepperoni, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. It comes in generous servings I could never finish it in one sitting. I usually have the other half wrapped to go to be enjoyed later.



9. Cookies and Crumbs – Right in front of the New Government Center, this oddly-named restaurant (you’d think they just serve cakes, and pastries) has surprisingly good combo meals. I love the mozzarella chicken, pesto spaghetti and salad green combo. The coffee is mediocre at best, but the namesake, their cookie is chewy and tasty.

10. Café Bob’s Deli – I am talking about the portion at the back of Café Bob’s along Lacson where they have a mini-grocery and a deli with assorted cheeses and meats and hams. The pizza was light, crispy and a delight, while the pasta was robust and earthy- just the way you would envision a perfect meal after a long day at work. So good!



Comments

retovado said…
here are some you might ought to include in your next round of restos...

1. hungry pete's burgers, and pepe's (salpicao) in piazza sorrento

2. the resto where trattoria uma got their recipes: Cucina Carmine (the cook's italian)... 1st fl. pearl manor. near the intersection of north drive and lacson, behind the bldg with the munsterrific store

3. pamilya grill/fake bobs/erobobs- best value for your money. 40P for java rice and 2 sticks of sate babe, P20 for fruit punch

4. tiyo sid's burgers (shopping area & food park @ 21st st) best charcoal broiled burgers that ranges P60-95

5. felicia's- another great dessert place. yummy dulce de leche, coffee, and sans rival
Bong said…
thanks! i've been to pepe's, and fake bob's. i like them too! i'll try the others!
Tim Riley said…
Thanks for posting this list! I've just moved to Talisay from Australia, and I'm looking forward to trying out these places. The couple of jeepney rides to Bacolod are totally worth it for all the great food options :)

I'm a big coffee drinker, and I've already started drinking and listing all the coffee I can find in Bacolod. My reviews so far are here:

http://decafsucks.com/people/1-timriley

I've checked out Kuppa (haven't written the review yet) and I'll be sure to check out 1926 in Silay! My favourite espresso so far would have to be from C's by L'Fisher. Would love it if you could let me know if there are any other great coffee place to check out!
Bong said…
Glad you found this helpful, Tim. I am a big coffee drinker myself, and always in the look out for good coffee places I was going to write a follow up on coffee places too in Bacolod...and I have actually tried all the places you have mentioned. Bacolod is a good place for food and coffee! I enjoy C's...i like the ambience, and their coffee is good. Try their red-velvet cake if you haven't already.

Our office actually serve the BEST coffee. Drop by. I'll be back in Bacolod this January.
Anonymous said…
there's a lot more....Tita Mely's Restaurant, Pepes Restaurant, 21 Restaurant, Cuayx restaurant, Imay's restaurant and MORE! i love you bacolod!
Unknown said…
i can definitely agree with you about BIGBY's!!! excited to return to my hometown and see the new resto's.. NICE BLOG! blunt but true! awesome
almaturan said…
Your review is great by the way. It's just that, how can I go to the restaurants that you mentioned if you don't put an address? Some people are not familiar with Bacolod City. I am quite curious about the Pala-Pala. Where is it specifically?
Anonymous said…
Thank you Bong for this blog.. i am from Negros and take up nursing at Bacolod.. bacolod is indeed the best placeto dine.. Cafes, restos, turo turo, even carinderias serves home made goodness.. For the budget conscious, could try the Raffy's Sizzlers Pork Misono and beef ala pobre.. Tastes very good.. You good also try Mushu, L'sea, Alberto's Pizza along Lacson and Dalum balay burger front oF Kuppa..
Anonymous said…
good day.. i miss the food in Bacolod..im currently in Iloilo.. i tried Mandarin tea garden to compensate for L'sea and i'm a bit disappointed.. L'sea still serves the best tasting dumpling, shrimpball and soy chicken.. ask for the soya sauce too... i don't know if many will agree but i think the best back ribs is still in Bigby's.. compared to Bobs, pendys, byrons, etc.. when it comes to red velvet cake.. i like the version at Starbucks, where the frosting is white chocolate..after that experience, i only eat red velvet at starbucks.. try the Boba cake at Bascon's (i could eat a whole cake and not feel diabetic or purged) compared to 1 slice of french chocolate cake at (toooooot)... but overall.. i could say that food tastes much better at Negros.
Anonymous said…
i like the salpicao at Pepes...yummmy...thebest.. just make it medium rare.