This Moment



This moment, this chunk of ephemeral time – I will try to hold on to, even if I know that once it is gone, it is gone forever, and that even as I speak I feel it slipping through my fingers. Each grain inflicts little wounds that would never heal whatever the amount of time might pass, because how can time heal when it is time that inflicts the lacerations? Time is a staunch ally, but is can also be unforgiving, merciless. It allows us to heal, it enables us to recover, but it will exact a just payment, forging on and the ravages it leaves as it passes will not and cannot be covered. And ultimately, the payment is more than we can afford.

And so when I say I will try to hold on to this moment, at this enchanted slice of eternity this is what I mean: that whatever the situation might be, whatever the emotion might be, whatever angst or bit of surrealism defines the world around, as if mist-shrouded with mystery and charm, I will be here. I will be present, to be fully aware of where I am, what’s going on, and what is happening to me, to my world. Because this moment will be gone- and bereft of the moment, we shall be beggars hoping for a morsel of kindness that we know will not be forthcoming. Therefore, live in the moment.

*The PBTS Grover Tyner Building viewed from the patio where I like to have my coffee

Comments