The 30 Year Journey

The month of June 2023 marks my 30th year in the ministry. It has been, and continues to be a strange but fulfilling discovery. The years have been filled with a mix of the sweet, the bitter, and the painful but also the joyous. I marvel at the privilege of being called to be a servant.

I am humbled by the invitation to take part in what God has been doing. I take to heart with trembling hands the responsibility of caring for people, teaching God's Word, living for Him, and ministering to His people.

I was able to see, hear, feel, and experience the most amazing things only the grace of God can give. I discovered that the best blessings aren't the big, splashy ones, but the quiet, private ones between you and the Lord - like a knowing wink between friends, or a gentle nudge of affection from a loved one. And I have plenty of those as the Lord would affirm, embrace, and lift me up just at the right time, and only between us. I also went through difficult seasons in life when I thought hope, joy, and sanity are forever gone, where tears and snot intermingled as I wept into the night. Only the grace of God allowed me to stand thus far.

I have been blessed with friendships and people who remain a blessing up to now. I am grateful for the people who were there to give me joy, meaning, and motivation all these years. I have also experienced the pain of being backstabbed (and this is what I have discovered: the pain is not so much the stab but the excruciating knowledge of who did the stabbing). Only the grace of God has allowed me to stand where I am now. It had been an interesting journey indeed.

I have no words to adequately describe or explain the experiences I have had. I lived in Davao, Baguio, Manila, Bacolod. I have moved and stayed in no less than 10 houses during all this time. I have pastored churches. I have taught in seminaries. I have traveled to distant places and different countries. I have met thousands of people. I have had long conversations with individuals throughout the night. I've celebrated with people in their victories, and happiness. I've sat with the grief-stricken, consoling wordlessly as we take comfort in God's Spirit. I've spoken at obscure village churches, and to international audiences. I have mentored, and been mentored by the most amazing people. Only by the grace of God.

Thank you, my beloved family, my sacred companions, my comrades, and my brothers and sisters in arms for being with me all these years. Thanks to all the churches who allowed me to be their pastor. Thank you for the love, the support, and the journey as we labored together for the Lord.

Thank you, Father - my love, my Master. Thank you for this life I might never have had but only by Your grace you have given to me.

"O Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end; be Thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend; I shall not fear the battle if Thou art by my side, nor wander from the pathway if Thou wilt be my guide."

Comments