"Lord, why are you silent? Why are you always silent...?”

The ambiguity of faith at times, and the harsh realities of life clash in ways that cannot always be completely be brought together or tied neatly without dissonance. They grate at each other, challenge, and hold in tension the undeniable pain, and the grittiness of faith put in practice. The novel, and now lately by a film by Martin Scorsese explore the depths of suffering, the cost of martyrdom, and the grace that embraces even the ugliest of our human nature. Rich fodder for reflection - that which I plan to do in the days to come.

"You may trample. You may trample. I more than anyone know of the pain in your foot. You may trample. It was to be trampled on by men that I was born into this world. It was to share men's pain that I carried my cross." Sushako Endo, Silence

Comments