A Phone Call I Did Not Make Today

Early this morning, as soon as I woke up, my first impulse was to call and greet my dad a "Happy Birthday!" He would chuckle, and he would act surprised, and say, "You remembered?!" He would ask me 1. If I am ok, 2. If my siblings are ok, and do we keep in touch, 3. When am I going home for a break. He would laugh at my jokes, and he will assure me he is doing well. I would feel like a kid again, and I will remember my dad's booming laughter and generosity. I really wanted to do that today.

But I did not.

I could not.

Instead, I prayed and thanked the Lord for giving us our dad. I thanked the Lord for the kind of father he was to us - gentle, generous, loving, and always supportive. I asked the Lord to hug him for us as he is with Him now.

Happy birthday, papa! We love you so much!

Comments