Self-Disclosure

Let me do the one thing that scares me to death.

Let me face that which I fear most. This confrontation is a kind of death that is both liberating and exhilarating. Therefore, let me look deep into my heart and find in the most tender, most hidden side of it, and let me take it with both hands and expose it to You. Nothing is hidden from you - this is true -but in my act of self-disclosure, I am healed.

Fling open the rusted windows and the nailed passages of my soul.

Let the sunshine of Your presence invade the darkest places of my innermost being. For sure, this will leave me vulnerable and sensitive. This exposure is sometimes worse that a thousand deaths, but I rest in Your tenderness. While Your touch will sting and hurt me – it will not destroy me. I may come undone, but the very act of self-revelation is a freedom that shall unshackle the chains that bind me.

Let me breathe in the purest air. Let me feel the life-giving inhalation rush through my lungs, clearing the cobwebbed abyss of my mind. Let me feel the sting of its freshness bringing tears to my eyes.

I am greedy for Your cleansing. I covet the very light I have for so long avoided. I tear open myself to you – naked, utterely bereft of coverings, for Your light shall cover me and clothe me with something new and fresh.

Comments