Jose

handsomest dudes in maui

More than anything it is the friendships and the bonding that made my four-week stay in Maui memorable. Admittedly, Maui is utterly beautiful – the beaches, the rain forests, the volcanoes made the island extraordinary, but what are these sights if you do not enjoy it with friends?

Jose Manuel Irizarry from Puerto Rico, my room mate, movie buddy, and seat mate, is a good guy. I enjoyed his company. While others were complaining about their room mates (nasty habits, poor hygiene, snoring, etc), I had no complaints (although I am not sure if he had any about me). Jose was the best room mate one can have. Though always quiet and smiling, but his wicked sense of humor always drives me into hysterical laughter. He likes to play pranks, and comes up with the funniest one-liners. You would also know he is a deep thinker as he comes up with amazing insights during class, or even in our late night conversations.

He is like an older brother I never had (although we are the same age). Nothing fazes him. Ever cool, he would take his time and go about his quiet ways. He is an engineer by trade, and also helps out in his church by assisting the pastor, his dad. He has a pretty wife whom he talks to almost constantly (as soon as break begins, and even after classes have begun), and three sons.

footwashing ceremony

I got to brush up on my rudimentary Spanish, and in return, he learned a few phrases in Tagalog (Ano ang pangalan mo? Work on it, Jose). He joined our group of pinoys who like to eat out, laugh out loud and to go on trips. Nathan, one our buddies, and who had 200 relatives living in Maui officially “adopted” him into the family and made him a cousin. Jose is now a Puerto Pino (Puerto Rican-Filipino)

One night, bored out of our skulls, we went out to go to a local movie theater. Nothing interesting was on except for a controversial comedy feature. We watched it anyway, and laughed ourselves silly at the most inane gags and stunts in that movie. Someone drove us to the theaters, but we had to hike back to the center. The walk to the theater was a good 2 kilometers, but it was a pleasant night – a bit cold, but altogether pleasant. I think that’s where we fully bonded (although we got on famously right off the bat). I’d never forget how cool he was when we found we were locked out of the building. He coolly found a way to let us in (called Ram from his room, woke him up and told him to open the door for us from inside).

More than anyone of us (who were not brave enough), Jose would try out new things – dive into the cold waterfall pool, eat raw fish or pork intestines (but not balut), or simply go out with people he hardly knows (well, us, the first time). And we all liked him for that.


fearless Jose trying raw fish (sorry, you didn't get to try balut)

He was also my partner in the foot-washing ceremony. During the ceremony, we had to say something or pledge something to our partner. I told Jose that he will always be in my prayers, and that I know God has something great in store for him. And I know too that this is true. God has something for this man - his family, his person, his achievements will be used by God in a mighty way. I look forward to hearing what amazing things God is doing through him.

Jose will be on my mind for a long time. He is someone I will never forget. Already, we are making plans to go on a trip together. Manila! Bangkok! I hope that this will come true.

Hasta la vista, mi amigo, mi hermano. Vaya con Dios!

Comments