A Mystery Revealed


The First Time
U2


I have a lover
A lover like no other
She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul
And she teach me how to sing

Shows me colours when there's none to see
Gives me hope when I can't believe
That for the first time
I feel love

I have a brother
When I'm a brother in need
I spend my whole time running
He spends his running after me

When I feel myself going down
I just call and he comes around
But for the first time
I feel love

My father is a rich man
He wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming
Gave me a cup of gold

He said I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key
And I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key
Yeah, I threw away the key

For the first time
For the first time
For the first time

I feel love


There is something infinitely beautiful and haunting when the cool Baguio fog would come rolling in the early afternoons, and transform the beautiful campus where I am now into a dreamlike world. The mist would envelope the pine trees and you are transported to a place of reverie and immense poetic beauty. It becomes a place where you may just encounter something you may have lost – a dream, a love, a hope that once held you rock steady - and a reunion of the most sublime kind may occur. “Without warning your whole body fills with a longing for something you can't name, something you've lost but never had, that you're nostalgic for yet don't remember. You sense a joy so huge it breaks you, a sorrow so deep it cleanses.”

It becomes a peaceful place, but something in you is stirred, opened, revealed. Something in you becomes keenly aware of the beauty and the majesty of creation, and the infinitely good and gracious Father who reveals to you the most magnificent mystery of all, and it is this: that He who is holy and righteous, He who is powerful and great loves you. You are loved with an everlasting love. You are loved with a love so tender and so strong that the very foundations of the earth shook when it was expressed in its fullness one Friday afternoon two thousand years ago. And He looks upon you with delight and fondness.

“The greatest honor we can give Almighty God is to live gladly because of the knowledge of His love...”
Julian of Norwich

Comments

Cecilia said…
Thanks for reminding me of Baguio's beauty. I have not seen it in years.

I like this line: "It becomes a place where you may just encounter something you may have lost – a dream, a love, a hope that once held you rock steady - and a reunion of the most sublime kind may occur."

Thanks for sharing.
V.T said…
Hey! Bong, That's so cool!Aaaaaaaaaargh! You make me miss PBTS soooooooo.... much! Y'know how special it is to me. If only I can bring my whole family and live there.
MhacLethCalvin said…
Baguio indeed reminds me of God's immanence and transcendence. Like the foggy mist present in our midst yet it transcends us that we cannot grasp it fully. That's a mouthful. :)