The Shadow of Your Smile

The shadow of your smile
When you are gone
Will color all my dreams
And light the dawn
Look into my eyes
My love...and see
All the lovely things
You are to me
Our wistful little star
Was far to high
A tear drop kissed your lips
And so did I
Now when I remember spring
All the joy that love can bring
I will be remembering
The shadow of your smile


It is strange that the remembrance of you comes at the oddest of moments. At the check out line of a grocery store, I caught a glimpse of a little child holding the finger of her mom, and that is all it takes to bring back times forever lost. A scene from a movie, a particular slant of the light, a line from a song, and I melt in a maudlin, mawkish surrender. A few years ago when I was in deep trouble I suddenly felt an intense desire to talk to you, to tell you things.

It is strange for it had been 19 years since I saw you last, but there are moments; there are times when you seem so present, so near that the sting of the remembrance of your absence is a merciless blow that knocks the wind out of me. I hardly talk about you, but not because I have forgotten you, nor because you have seemed less important to me. I have not forgotten – the tone of your voice, the feel of your hands, your smile. You remain an important part of who I am right now.

It is strange that the remembrance of your comes at the oddest of moments. I see your smile in the daughter who was named after you. I see you in the gestures and voice of your first born. And every time I get together with your youngest child I look at him the way you have looked at him – with fondness and gentleness. I see you in me as I look at the world.

Are you proud of us and what we have become?

Comments

Nechie said…
this is such a touching entry...

grabe, muntik nako maiyak ha!
Beng said…
I "second the motion" about it being a touching entry. When writing comes deep from the heart, it has such power to move. On your last question, she must say "yes." :-)
Bad Alice said…
This is beautiful and painful and sad. And mysterious, too, a grief that flashes out and recedes.