Rainy Season Reading List

I beheld a pleasant sight this morning: skies of ionized silver, the rain pouring ethereal, flowing blessings bringing the gift of cool winds, sentimental moods, and the best excuse to stay in bed and read a good book. Below are the books that are now by my bed so that they are never far away from the best place in my house to read.

1. My Bible (of course!)
2. Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere (he's coming over July 11 for book signing! Let's all go!)
3. Garrison Keillor’s The Book of Guys
4. C.S. Lewis’ Till We Have Faces (but I have begun reading this since April)
5. Bill Bryson’s Made in America
6. The Secular Journal of Thomas Merton
7. James Baldwin’s Another Country
8. Frederick Buechner’s The Final Beast
9. Anne Dillard’s The Living
10. David Gutterson’s Snow Falling On Cedars
11. Dag Hammarskjöld’s Markings (This book was meant to be given to the guy who says “Ay Ambot” a lot. He wishes me to keep it for him as he’s gallivanting around the U.S. at this time).

Now, how do I read all these books? Is there some sort of method in my reading? Well, I read them as the mood strikes me. Say, for example, before I sleep, I’d think “I kind of want to explore the intricacies of human longing and striving,” thus, C.S. Lewis’ Till We Have Faces is the natural pick. Or I wake up from a weird dream, and so Neil Gaiman seems like the best writer to read…and so it goes. I’ve begun to read all of them, one after the other. Eventually, I get to read and finish them all. It works, believe me.



The books beside my bed...or more like the books on the floor beside my bed.

Comments

maria said…
i'm a neil gaiman fan myself.i read neverwhere already.it was pretty fun =)

i have yet to read some of the stuff u wanted to read..i never have time.

will be browsing ur blog from time to time XD..take care =)
Olive Joy said…
one of those books look strangely familiar....
:)
MhacLethCalvin said…
Pahiram naman ng mga books mong pamatay na gaya nyan. hehehe.. btw, saan ka ba nakakakuha ng mga 'never heard' na books na yan? Diplomat? Booksale? ;)
Bong said…
to mhac: the diligent and often back-breaking of bargain book hunting can be worthwhile. diplomat, booksale, and even that old man selling 2nd hand books along session road has been known to come up with treasures. happy hunting!

to olive: ahehehe...yes, familiar indeed.

to alan: markings will be here waiting for you.
shing said…
nice to know that im not the only one who reads a plethora of books all at the same time. heehee.

and my bedside table/s look/s like the one in your photo: an array of books currently being read. :P
shing said…
ooh...and I am dying to have a copy of Snow Falling on Cedars. I loved the movie...