Coupland's Question

"After you're dead and buried and floating around whatever place we go to, what's going to be your best memory of Earth? What one moment defines what it's like to be alive on this planet?"

Douglas Coupland, Generation X

A New Year's morning -this was a time before my mother had cancer, back when everything seemed in harmony. The sun has just risen, the ground still wet with dew, and dragon flies with their crystalline wings seemingly suspended in the air - and we were hiking up to our farm. My dad, my siblings, and my self in a half-asleep stupor. It was a cold day, I remember. When you're hiking, on a cold morning, while still the phantom of a dream continues to drift in your mind, everything seem surreal, yet sharply lucid. Then at the end of our hike, at a farmer's house, we had hot chocolate - bittersweet, rich, delicious. In my mind I still hear my mother's laughter. My father expansive with goodwill. My siblings and myself, confident and secured. This is how it feels like to be content, to be in harmony.


Comments