Ordination - October 5, 2003

In 1993, I went up to my father one evening and told him that I would want to go into full time ministry – to enroll in the seminary and devote myself to the Lord’s work. Although that didn’t come as a surprise to him since I was very much involved with our church, he still asked me “Are you sure?” In that question, I sensed my father’s concern, his apprehensions about what my life would be like. In that question, he voiced his worries about my future, my prospects, my living conditions. Like any father who want the best for his children, my dad wanted to make sure that I was not getting into anything that might hurt me or disappoint me. The first time he visited me at the parsonage in the first church I pastored, he surveyed the house the church had provided for me to stay in – an old pre-war termite-infested wooden house that has obviously seen better days. He looked at me with a strange expressions in his face and asked me, “Are you happy here?” How do I answer such a question? Admittedly, many of his apprehensions seem to be coming true. When he asked me how much I was receiving, he had to hold back a chuckle, as if to say, “you earned more when you were helping me at the farm.”

Pardon me if I seem to be painting a grim picture of the ministry. Pardon me if I sound as if I am romanticizing and ennobling this vocation. I am not. The point I am making is that, while it is true that ministry and pastoring are certainly not beds of roses – certainly not easy – certainly not a picnic, because frankly speaking, being a pastor can sometimes be a thankless endeavor, it is still a meaningful, joy-filled vocation. Yes, admittedly, the pay can be lousy, the working conditions difficult, and as a pastor, one is open to suspicions, ridicule, humiliation, unrealistic expectations and demands. Yes, admittedly, material abundance may not mark one’s ministry very often, and one must learn to do without so many things.

But then again, how can one express the feeling one gets after delivering a sermon, or teaching God’s word, or explaining an aspect of the Christian life? How can you contain in words the excitement and the jubilation you receive when you see someone come to understand the deeper things of God? How do you put a cost to the surge of thrill one feels as one leads a person to accept the Lord? How do you quantify the sublime pleasure that you feel as you hear a heartfelt thank-you and a warm handshake from someone who has been touched by your life? Or the ray of hope you feel even as you touch and become part of the lives of the people around you? Or the dose of triumphant delight as you see someone change his or her ways because the Gospel of the Lord has proven once more how powerful it is – to see first hand the truly amazing work of God. Or the quiet grace you feel come over as you minister out of your poverty, out of your meekness, out of your pain? Or the simple but affirming feeling when someone calls you pastor? These are priceless moments. Magic.

These are what make being a pastor worth it all. These joys maybe simple and little but do not mistake simplicity with shallowness or littleness with triviality. The truth of the matter is, ministry can be a joyful, deeply satisfying involvement. It is a way of giving – the giving of life, the giving of self to the Most High God, and indeed a privilege.

This year I mark my 11th year in the ministry. It had its bumps, it had its mishaps, and many of those are probably my fault, but above all, it has been a most meaningful journey – it still is. Today I stand as another chapter in my life and ministry begins. Thank you for giving me the privilege of working with you. Thank you for trusting me with this designation. Thank you for affirming the calling I have received. Thank you for being partners in the great work of God this side of His world. Being called a “Reverend” would entail responsibilities I dare not look fully at this time, but I know that the essential remains, that which is truly meaningful remains our call: join me as we glorify God and to proclaim the praises of Him who has called out of darkness into His marvelous light! Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments