Last Quarter Reading List

I admit, I have been remiss. I haven't had a coherent or barely passable entry in the last few weeks. The creative juices have been channeled somewhere, I guess - what with teaching four subjects this term, plus the administrative demands of being a dean. What a life. Good thing reading's not been a victim in the mad rush of "to do" things. Here's my partial and incomplete list for the next quarter:

1. Graham Greene's The Heart of the Matter - a brooding, melancholic account of a middle-aged man on his inevitable tragic journey.

2. Graham Greene's The Quiet American - I've fallen for Greene's Hemingwayesque cadence and sparseness of narrative. Enthralling.

3. Graham Greene's The Confidential Man - what can i say?

4. Frances Maye's Swan - a story of yet another eccentric and deeply troubled Southern family, but with Maye's own unique twist.

5. Ethan Hawke's Ash Wednesday - can an actor become a novelist too? Apparently yes. This book has been published a few years ago, but it is only now that I have laid of a copy. Cover looks interesting.

6. Paul Gervais' A Garden in Lucca - gardens fascinate me these days - not that i will ever find the time or the ability to pursue it.

7. Nick Hornby's A Polysyllabic Spree - a book about books - what could be more fun?

8. Nick Hornby's 31 Songs - a book about songs - what joy!

9. Re-reading: Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being - the quest for a meaningful existence continues...

10. Kent Haruf's The Ties That Bind - Haruf has captivated me when I first read Plainsong. Set in rural America, there is something beautiful about the way Haruf describes the rich but hard life of farmers.


Comments

DrDan said…
Glad to see you are still reading. Guess life at PBTS is going well. Hope to talk to you soon.
Dan R