Life In Box(es)

Life on the move can sometimes be a difficult thing. I’ve discovered that no matter how used one is to travel and change, it is always hard to bear. But one can’t be a Dawn Treader without traveling, without the willingness to change and to discover new territories. So, the voyage must continue.

But I digress...Let me tell you about what I’m suppose to write about. The boxes I’m filling with my stuff. Among them

1.An old recorder
I bought this when I was still a poor, starving (oh, ok. Not exactly starving) seminary student in 1995. It was not that expensive, but only a seminarian can truly understand how much of a sacrifice a few pesos can be. Why did I buy this? Because we had a youth cam on a wretched island on a blazing hot summer. Nasidman island just off the Iloilo is a small island that does not have any redeeming features, except for a beautiful, lonely lighthouse. No electrity, no potable water (in fact, no water at all. We have to wait for the banca to bring us our daily ration of water from the mainland). Of all places, we had our youth camp there. I promptly fell sick – chills, fever, etc. I felt miserable. Except at dusk, we had worship time. There were no microphones, no electric musical instruments, just the pure voices of the young people. Then all of a sudden, from somewhere (it was getting dark. I couldn’t see who it was) someone played the recorder. The notes were simple, unsophisticated, but it was absolutely beautiful. I was lifted up from the wretched place, and truly worshipped the Lord. I vowed then to learn to play the recorder, if only to recapture that moment when the Lord made Himself manifest, and where we sensed His wonder and His glory in that rugged island. And so, as soon as I can afford it, I got one, taught myself to play, and go back to that place when God was near.

2.Handwritten sermon manuscripts
These manuscripts must be about 7 to 10 years old, written on legal sized yellow pads, they are now faded, and brittle with age. I crafted these sermons when I was a young pastor, full of naiveté, painfully idealistic, and daring to speak of things far beyond my grasp or understanding. I hang on to these manuscripts not because they were good, but because I want to be reminded of His grace, that He who is powerful, and all-knowing can use a callow, ignorant young preacher for His glory.

3.Unrefilled Parker pens given by various friends
I have several of them. I keep meaning to buy them ink refills, but I never seem to remember whenever I am in a bookstore. I would never buy an expensive pen, but dear friends thought I'd want one, and out of the generosity of their hearts, offered them as gifts. And I am grateful.

4.A stone turtle
I found this small, orange stone turtle near the border of Thailand and Cambodia. I was captivated. I lugged it around in the entire time we took the mother of all road trips that took 16 hours, 5 rivers to cross on flimsy looking rafts that usually contained 6 cars, and around 30 people, and then back. The stone turtle became an emblem of my trip and impression of that place. Rugged, hardy but totally charming.

5. Photos/Postcards/Cards for all occasions/empty envelopes
Empty envelopes? Let me explain. A few years ago, as a result of some fiasco I would not get into at this time, I suddenly found myself teaching at two seminaries (all part-time), no full-time job, and earning less than P2,000 (roughly $40?) a month. I have no idea how I survived that long, lean year. But when I was preparing to move to Baguio, I found all over the small room I was renting empty envelopes. They contained the lovegifts and honorariums from various speaking engagements in churches, schools, and others. This was God’s way of providing for me. I had to trust Him daily for my bread, and He was faithful in providing. And so I keep these empty envelopes to remind me of His faithfulness and His gentle way of teaching me He will provide.

6.Light saber thingy from Hongkong We all got the light saber thingy – it does not have any known purpose except just to have it for fun. And we did have fun waving it around during the worship service that evening. This is what I have been trying to impart to those who would care to listen – that spirituality and having fun are not necessarily contradiction in terms. Enough said.

7.Books bought, given or “stolen.”
I've lost count of how many books I own, but this time, I'm bringing with me to Baguio three big boxes filled with them. I love to read them, I love to be around them. I even love the smell of them.

Admittedly, some of these stuff are so old, so dusty that they can easily be thrown away. But they are carefully packed. Treasures aren’t measured in the newness of things, or valued by how much it’s worth out in the world. Each item evokes moments forever gone. It harkens to days now past, and calls to mind people, places, events that were important in some obscure way. These are the reasons why I hold on to them.

Either that, or I’m turning into my grandma, Lola Sayong –hoarder of junk, repository of odds and ends, a certified pack rat.

P.S. Check out this blog post by Vanessa. Very interesting subject hehehehe


Odds and Ends

Comments

Beng said…
You blogged about the boxes already!:-) Interesting how we keep things, and what makes us keep them. Keep on blogging. Even while you're in Baguio.
sillyserious said…
ah, the dawn treader sails again :) may the Lord of the Journey give you more memorable things to put in boxes and treasure in your heart!

p.s. now u just made it doubly difficult for me to return the books i "stole" from you ages ago. tsk, tsk... shall i claim ownership (albeit temporary) of them? ;)
Olive Joy said…
i dunno where i placed my lightsaber thingy from HK.
:(
maybe when I move out (someday) I'll find it too, hehe.